Pages

Friday, April 25, 2014

6 Weeks of Running and Still At it - #C25K


I just started week seven of the Couch to 5k running program.  The idea of this program is to help a person who has no history with running to be able to run a 5k in 9 weeks.  Well, folks, I'm on my way.  On Tuesday I ran nearly 2 miles in 25 minutes.  Woohoo!  

It's definitely a slow process, and I am very glad I began with this program.  It really helped ease me into running, and I'm still surprised at how far I can go without stopping.  Here are some tips I've learned along the way, and maybe they'll help you.
  1. Buy good running shoes.  DO NOT wear regular sneakers to run.  I bought a $20 pair of shoes at Target and did my first run in them.  Although it wasn't much running in the beginning, I think I am still paying for it.  They hurt my heals very badly.  I purchased a pair of Asics that have gels in the heels.  They are absolutely wonderful!  Plus they're purple!
  2. Begin and end with a walk.  The C25K starts and ends with a 5 minute walk.  
  3. Stretch.  I failed to do this in the beginning, but have been doing it more.  There are heaps of youtube videos that show good stretches.  It not only feels good, but will spare you from injuries.  Which thankfully, I've had none so far.
  4. Give yourself rest days.  This is part of what helps keep me going, it's not every day.  Currently I jog 3 days a week.
  5. You can do it!  I am not a morning person, but because of the heat here I have to get up early and  go for my jog.  I can't believe I'm in week 7.  Stop giving excuses and just do it.

I'm by no means an expert here, and I still can't say I love it.  I try not to let myself think of any excuses not to run on my scheduled morning,  I just get up and do it.  I absolutely love the feeling of accomplishment afterwards, especially when I finished my first 20 minutes of straight running with no breaks.

I'd love to hear from runners with any helpful advice!






/

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm so excited to hear that you are running. I took up running a little over two years ago and it completely changed my life. I'm actually going to be running my first half marathon next weekend. I can't wait I'm so excited. The two things that help me most when I'm preparing for a long run is plenty of water, six small meals a day, and a pasta dish the night before to give plenty of energy for the big day. Good luck!!

Be Thou Exalted said...

When we come back for a visit, we'll have to run together!

Unknown said...

For Sure!! That would be so much fun. :)