Pages

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Missionary Monday

A few weeks ago, I overheard my husband on the phone with someone.  He said, "We're missionaries to the American Indians."  I really hadn't thought about it, but yes, we're missionaries.  For some reason, I have it in my head that we aren't officially missionaries until we step off the plane in a foreign country.

Yesterday my husband preached a great missions message (no, I'm not partial, others thought so too!).  He said, "We are given the status 'missionaries to unreached forgotten people groups."  Why are we given this label?  Because the people we are going to are unreached and forgotten.  So, if you have family and friends who are unsaved, wouldn't that make you a missionary to an unreached, forgotten people group.  Because most unsaved people are forgotten, and obviously unreached.  I'd like to encourage you today, to remeber those unsaved friends and loved ones, and go reach them.

Last Saturday the missionary pastor and his family went to a conference, so my husband and I are filling in for him.  Yesterday went so well, despite my husband being really sick the day before.  I was able to play the piano for all the services.  I'm not the best piano player, but I can play hymns for congregational singing.  The picture on the right isn't clear, but it's of the Navajo hymnal.  It is so beautiful to hear them singing in their own language.

I feel so honored to be a part of this ministry.  God is moving and the people are listening.  Souls are being saved almost every week, and the altar is full at every service.  The people want to get involved and be a part of the church.  The pews are full, in fact, they have the children sit up front on the floor just so everyone can have a seat.  That's a great problem to have!

We only have a few more weeks here, and I want to take in every moment.  I am going to be so sad to leave here, but also excited because I know God has great things in store for us in the upcoming months. 
Here is a photo of the Suburban my husband rebuilt for the church.  When it rains here the dirt turn to thick mud, and most people can't leave their homes.  But with the Suburban, they're able to bring people into church - sun, rain, or snow!

Next week is Vacation Bible School in a town about 45 minutes away.  The pastor's son is going to be starting a church there (he's currently on deputation).  I'm excited to be a part of it, Vacation Bible School is always a fun and crazy week.

So this week will be filled with building projects and visiting for VBS, and normal household duties for me.  It should be a great week!

4 comments:

Chris and Carole said...

Great Post, thanks for sharing! What an awesome experience. I can see your love for these people in your posts and I'm sure you're really going to miss them when you move on to your next mission field!

joy said...

Blog is looking great! I am so picky about fonts and colors myself. It's part of my ocd personality :o)

thanks for sharing all of the great pictures from your trip. it looks like you are having an amazing time!

stay safe on your travels!

joy

Anna Payne said...

Great to see God working in and through you! Praying for you and your family! :)

Be Thou Exalted said...

Thanks, Joy. I'm so picky about the fonts too. If I have a hard time reading the fonts I won't read the blog. It took me forever to pick these colors too. I'm happy with it...for now!