Pages

Sunday, March 31, 2013

Happy Resurrection Sunday!

 
Easter and Christmas are two of my favourite holidays.
 
I remember my parents getting us big Easter baskets with candy, and always getting me a new dress for Easter Sunday.  We'd go to church on Sunday morning where the church was beautifully decorated with lilies in honor or remembrance of loved ones.  Sunday afternoon consisted of a big dinner at my Aunt Joann's cabin with all my dad's side of the family.  Then the fun Easter egg hunt afterwards.  Oh, how I miss those Straley gatherings!
 
I'm trying to make new traditions for my family.  I still like to get Autumn a new dress for Easter Sunday.  We looked everywhere and just couldn't find any nice dresses this year (dressing up is not very Territorian).  So we found her a nice new top.
 
Another thing we did each year is make our Empty Tomb cake.  It always looks the same, but still it's fun to do.  Then we take the time to read Benjamin's Box (I love this book) and go through the Resurrection Eggs.
 
I hope you have a wonderful Easter Sunday or Resurrection Day, whichever you call it.  Praying Christ's death, burial, and resurrection will be very real to you.  I am looking forward to church tomorrow and partaking of the Lord's Supper.  May this time never grow old, but be fresh every time we hear it.
 
I'll leave you with one of my favourite songs. 
 
 
 
How Deep the Father's Love
 
How deep the Father's love for us,
How vast beyond all measure
That He should give His only Son
To make a wretch His treasure

How great the pain of searing loss,
The Father turns His face away
As wounds which mar the chosen One,
Bring many sons to glory

... Behold the Man upon a cross,
My sin upon His shoulders
Ashamed I hear my mocking voice,
Call out among the scoffers

It was my sin that left Him there
Until it was accomplished
His dying breath has brought me life
I know that it is finished

I will not boast in anything
No gifts, no power, no wisdom
But I will boast in Jesus Christ
His death and resurrection

Why should I gain from His reward?
I cannot give an answer
But this I know with all my heart
His wounds have paid my ransom
 
 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love that song! What a neat cake!