This past Monday was May Day, so we decided to have a bbq and invite all our friends to help us celebrate our Australian citizenship. We pretty much invited everyone we knew. It was a holiday weekend so many people were away, but I think we had about 60 people show up.
Autumn made a flag cake.
Lining up for an Aussie bbq!
Plenty of teen girls!
They LOVE their photo being taken!
The boys hung out inside watching a movie.
Gifts from sweet friends.
Another photo of Autumn's cake.
We had a lovely evening with friends. Living so far from family can be difficult, but we are very thankful for the friends God has given us here.
A friend gave us a fun list of "You Know You're An Aussie When...". So I thought I'd share some with you. Enjoy!
- You feel compelled to complete this chant: "Aussie, Aussie Aussie . . ."
- You believe Waltzing Matilda is our real national anthem.
- Driving a caravan around the continent is your ideal retirement plan.
- You're bothered more by flies than sharks or crocs.
- At some point you've given or received the advice: "She'll be right, mate". Finding one of the world's most venomous snakes or spiders under your car is not out of the question.
- You can go on holidays to another country in less time than it takes to fly to the other side of your own.
- You pronounce Melbourne as "Mel-bin".
- You can translate: "Dazza and Shazza played Acca Dacca on the way to Maccas."
- You believe it makes perfect sense for a nation to decorate its highways with large fibreglass bananas, prawns and sheep.
- You think "Woolloomooloo" is a perfectly reasonable name for a place.
- You're secretly proud of our killer wildlife.
- You know it's not summer until the steering wheel is too hot to handle.
- You're sweating the same amount at 8pm as you were at midday.
- You have a spider as big as a dinner plate living in your lounge room and you're not really worried, because it's only a Huntsman.
- You go to the servo for your petrol.
- You love your barbie (And it's not a doll).
- You went outside for less than 5 seconds and you are covered in mosquito bites.
- You're strongly encouraged to slip, slop slap.
- When you each chips - Not fries or crisps.
- When you have a thong tan (On your feet) all year through.
- You can run, dance, could even build a house wearing thongs.
- When you check for Red-Back's before sitting on the dunny.
- When you have Blue Tongues living in your yard, and you think they're friendly.
- When you always have tan lines. Even in winter.
- When you drive though "Macca's".
- When you know "Crikey!" can mean something's either good or bad.
- When something's a "Ripper!" you know it doesn't mean it's actually ripped.
- When your builder is a "Brickie" and your truck driver is a "Truckie", but your Accountant is still your Accountant.
- When having a "Chin wag" doesn't mean wiggling your chin.
- When you know all the words to the "Wiggles" songs.
- When you write 'Colour' not color.
- When your mother is mum - not mom.
- When you wake up in the morning and there's a new Prime Minister and there has been no vote
- When the same Prime Minister who was booted out, without a public vote, is the new Prime Minister again, still without a vote.