Pages

Thursday, February 25, 2016

What Pet Should I Get? by Dr. Seuss {Book Review}


Who doesn't love Dr. Seuss?  He's a favourite in our house.  As you can see in the photo, we have quite a few books by Dr. Seuss.  One reason I love him is for sentimental value - the first book that both of my kids read was by Dr. Seuss.  


Recently, Harper Collins Children's Books (Australia) asked me if I would like to review What Pet Should I Get?  I double checked my bookshelf and noticed we didn't have a copy of this book.  It didn't take me long to email back and say, "Yes, please!"

I love getting packages in the mail, and so do my kids.  To me, it's a bonus if the package contains a book!  I did a little happy dance when we received this in the mail, but made my kids wait until bed time to read it!  I'm mean like that.

What Pet Should I Get? is a brand new, never-before-seen children's book!  How exciting to read this book knowing it sat for years in a box after Dr. Seuss' death before it was discovered! 


One exciting feature about this book is that there is a publisher's note that shares a little bit about the life of Dr. Seuss and the history of this book with lots of old photos of  Theodore Seuss Geisel aka Dr. Seuss.  I do not want to spoil all the details because you really need to go buy a copy for yourself, but did you know that Dr. Seuss' first pet was a gift from his mother?  It was a stuffed toy dog that he named Theophrastus.  He kept this stuffed toy dog until days before his death when he gave it to his stepdaughter and asked her to take care of it.


What Pet Should I Get? is a classic Dr. Seuss book.  The kids in this book are the same kids from One Fish Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish.  It's written in Dr. Seuss' signature rhyming style.  

This brother and sister go to the pet store, and their dad says they can pick out just one pet.  But there are so many choices!  A cat, a dog, a kitten, a pup, a bird, a rabbit, a fish? It's a hard decision, but one they need to make fast!  Do you remember picking out your first pet?

They don't have much time, they have to be home by noon!



Which pet did they pick?

Well, you don't think I'm going to tell you, do you?!! 

My 8 year old loved the book, and has reread it many times.




My disclaimer...
I was given a free copy of What Pet Should I Get?  This review is my own opinion of the book.

No comments: