Pages

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Hezekiah

This past Sunday we heard one of the best Father's Day sermons I have ever heard.  It was taken from II Chronicles 29-33 on the life of Hezekiah.

Hezekiah's father began to reign when he was only 20 years old and did evil in the sight of the Lord.  You can read about Hezekiah's father and the evil he did (including closing the church doors) in II Chronicles 28 & II Kings 18.  He only reigned for 16 years, but the legacy he left his son, Hezekiah, was a shame.

Hezekiah began to reign when he was 25 years old.  The Bible says he did that which was right in the sight of the Lord.  In his first year he reopened the church doors.  He cleansed the house of the Lord and brought burnt offerings to the Lord.  The Bible says all those that were there bowed their heads and worshipped.  King Hezekiah helped turn the hearts of the people back to the Lord.

Later we read that he (with God's help, of course) destroyed the Assyrian army. I encourage you to read the story in II Chronicles 32.

During the war with Assyria Hezekiah was sick, nearly dying.   He prayed unto the Lord. The Lord spared his life giving him 15 more years.

Instead of praising the Lord, he got proud.  The Bible says "Hezekiah rendered not again according to the benefit done unto him."  Approximately 3 years after the Lord spared his life, Hezekiah had a son name Manasseh.  Manasseh never saw his father "do that which was right in the sight of the Lord."  He saw the pride. 

The point of the sermon was "What kind of legacy are you leaving for your children?".  Hezekiah reigned as a godly king for 14 years.  The last 15 years he became selfish and proud.  Sadly that's all his son saw.

This was meant as a Father's Day message, but the Lord really spoke to my heart.  My children hear me talk about loving God and serving others, but do they see that in my life?  I want to leave a godly legacy for my children, an example for them to follow the Lord.

We are told that Manasseh did that which was evil in the sight of the Lord.  He did what he was taught.    Later in Manasseh's life he humbled himself to the Lord, but the damage was also passed onto his son, Amon, who also did that which was evil in the sight of the Lord.

I pray that my life will be one that pleases my Savior, and encourages my children to love God above all else.

No comments: