Pages

Tuesday, September 16, 2008

A visit from some racoons...

A few nights ago, Autumn heard a noise on the porch. When she looked out the window she saw a racoon, actually 2 racoons. We sat and watched them eating our cat's food for quite awhile. It was rather amusing how they picked the food up with their little hands and ate it. But not so amusing that I would welcome them as a pet. Anyway, the next night they came back and brought another friend for some more of that yummy cat food. So, it finally clicked that if I don't have food out there, they might stay away. I only fed the cat a little and before I went to bed made sure there was nothing out there. By the way, they come by around 2 in the morning. I went to bed and was waken by a banging noise around 2am. I went out to the living room and turned on the light, and there staring in my window was a racoon. Now, I forgot to mention that I had put screens in our window that evening and forgot to take them out. For a split second, I thought "get the camera" but then I remembered Patrick has it, and so, I made some noise and he moved back from the screen, so I went through the house rather quickly putting all the windows down. Apparently, since I left them no food, they were planning to come in and get some. This probably wouldn't be so bad and even scary, but my man is away for a few days. It took me forever to fall asleep, fearing those racoons would just open the door and scurry right in. I'm not sure which I'd rather have racoons or the bear that was spotted a few weeks ago! I didn't hear anything last night, but I also had both kids in my room with the door shut and the air conditioner on! I can't wait for my man to come home.

3 comments:

Charlotte said...

Racoons are cute, but they can sure be destructive. Many years ago we were camping in Yosemite National Park when some racoons raided our food area right outside our tent door. They ate the hot dog buns. That wasn't nearly as bad as previously a bear had helped itself to our brownies that were stored in Tupperware. We finally learned to not leave anything to eat out in the open. I have heard reports of bears ripping off doors to get into cars to get food.
I see you live in Maui. I love that place. We visited there in 1987. Everyone says Maui is the best. I agree.

Charlotte said...

I got confused. It must have been the blog I was looking at previously. I know I saw Maui somewhere. Sorry about that. Oh well, it gave you something to think about. LOL

Dear Abbi said...

Aw, thanks for your comment. Although if my husband was 20 states away, I would need more than my M&M Thoughts...I would need just plain M&M's!! Or better yet... dark chocolate peanut M&M's. :) Although the coffee Turkey Hill in the freezer would do it for me too. Take care and I hope the days fly for you!