Pages

Sunday, November 27, 2016

Our Annual "Come Give Thanks with the Yanks" Dinner

This is our second year of hosting a Thanksgiving dinner for our friends here in Australia.  I had several people ask me months ago if we were going to do it again this year.  It is so much fun to organise and plan, and it is such a blessing to have everyone in the same room.  We invited 80 people and had nearly 70 show up!

We were able to use our friend's restaurant again.



I am so thankful for my friend, Kristine, who sent me the plates, serviettes, candles, and other decorations.  It's so important to me to have it look as much like an American Thanksgiving as possible.  Kristine delivered!  What a blessing!




I am so thankful for a friend who make all 4 turkeys and the mashed potatoes.
What a huge help that was!

Everyone brought a dish to share.


I ordered a thanksgiving craft from Oriental Trading.
My wonderful dad sent that to us along with some other goodies!

All ready to eat.
For many this was their first Thanksgiving dinner!
 



One of the many amazing desserts people brought.

We had an amazing evening.  Being so far from home during this time of year is difficult for me.  I love being with my family during the holidays.  But as I was sitting at the table surrounded by friends, I was reminded of how blessed we are.  Many of these people have become like family to us. Everyone had a lovely evening and enjoyed celebrating Thanksgiving together.  We invited one man who is from Maryland, literally an hour from where I grew up.  When we invited him, he said he had resolved himself to never have another Thanksgiving, before he left our dinner, I asked him how he enjoyed it, and he said, "This was amazing!  Thank you!"  That made my day.  I can't wait until next year!



No comments: