Pages

Thursday, November 22, 2012

New Traditions

 
In years past we always waited until Black Friday or even that Saturday to go pick out our real tree for Christmas.  This year, things are a little different, but it's a good different because of where we are! 
 
Obviously, in Australia, they do not celebrate Thanksgiving.  It's my favorite holiday.  There are some other Americans in the area and they invited us to their house for a Thanksgiving dinner.  We had a lovely meal and a nice time of fellowship. 
 
Today I made a Thanksgiving meal for dinner.  I made a ham, as turkeys are $7/lb on sale.  Autumn wants a turkey for her birthday dinner on Sunday, so we're going to purchase the smallest bird I can find.
 
Then after dinner we assembled our tree.  Don't let people tell you that you don't have to worry about the needles on a fake tree...that's not true!  Besides our first year of marriage, where we lived in an apartment that did not allow real trees, we have always had a real tree.  I'm glad we did.  I do miss the smell and the look to a real tree, but I'm so grateful that we are here, so you won't hear any complaints from me!
 
In Australia, they school year round, so our school year ends in December,  I'm hoping to be done by next Friday.  My plans are to relax and enjoy December.  I want to do crafts with the kids and do lots of baking.  I also have a Scripture plan to read through during the month of December with the kids.  I really want to focus on Christ this month, and really make it all about Him, as it should be.

No comments: