This was recently posted on the Baptist Missionary Women blog, thought I'd share. E.B. Pusey was a missionary living in Africa for 52 years. Here is her prescription for contentment:
- Allow thyself to complain of nothing, not even of the weather.
- Never picture thyself to thyself under any circumstance in which thou art not.
- Never compare thine own lot with that of another.
- Never allow thyself to dwell on the wish that this or that had been, or were, otherwise than it was, or is. God Almighty loves thee better and more wisely than thou dost thyself.
- Never dwell on the morrow. Remember that it is God's not thine. The heaviest part of sorrow often is to look forward to it. "The Lord will provide."