Pages

Monday, January 23, 2012

Missionary Monday

I thought I'd share some things about our surroundings here in Darwin.  We live in the Northern Territory, which is at the top center of Australia.  If you've seen the movie Australia with Nicole Kidman and Hugh Jackman, that's where we're at. 

 
Our seasons are opposite, so we are in summer time right now, which is the wet season.  Although it's supposed to be the wet season we haven't seen too much rain.  But Darwin is the lightning capital of the world.  Cool, I know!  I hope to someday get a great photo of lightning.  It's on my bucket list.  These were our temps a few weeks ago (which is pretty average right now), I switched it to Fahrenheit, I still need to learn Celsius.

Here is a photo of our new vehicle.  We got a great deal on it and it has only 130,000 kilometers, which is about 80,000 miles.  They drive on the left side of the road here, so our steering wheel is on the right.  It can be confusing at times, but I have successfully driven around and so far no messups!  Thank the Lord. 
We are only 20 minutes from the ocean.  Sadly, I've only been there once, but I hope to soon get on the schedule of going out once a week for some alone time with God.  I love the ocean.  Below you can see pictures of our first trip to the ocean.  Autumn found a sand dollar!  Patrick and Autumn made another trip to the ocean to ride their bikes on a trail and found another sand dollar and two pretty shells which they brought home for me.



And a price comparasion.  A Reese's Peanut Butter Cup (2 cups) for $3.50!  An Australian friend recently went to the states, he brought me back a bag of mini reese's peanut butter cups.  They were wonderful.  One of my good friends from the states sent us a Christmas package that included two Reese's peanut butter!  As you can tell, I love chocolate and peanut butter.  I need to learn to make them myself.

So there's a little peak into our life.  Thanks for stopping by!









Interested in reading more about missionaries around the world?
Click the button above.

4 comments:

Jolene said...

Great post!

I wouldn't mind swapping locations with you for just a few days... that warm weather is sounding SO nice right about now, as I am wrapped in a fuzzy robe and sipping hot tea to stay warm! LOL!

Anonymous said...

How wonderful to live so close to the ocean!! I hope you get to go often. $3.50 for Reeses!! WOW Yes, you should make peanut butter/chocolate candy yourself if the ingredients aren't too expensive.

Amy

Anonymous said...

I paid 60rand for 10 tortillas...the equivalent of about $8 here. They didn't have a price and I thought they couldn't possibly be that much. Such is life in other countries.

Renata said...

Love this post! We went to the territory when I was a child, but I can barely remember Darwin.
If you do get a good recipe for the reese's bars please share it ~ they sound so yummy!
Have a happy day
Renata:)