Pages

Sunday, June 5, 2011

On my mind ~ Joplin, Missouri

5On our way to Arizona we realized we would be passing by Joplin, Missouri.
We decided to get off the exit and see what there was to see.
There were lots of tents like this set up everywhere offering free food and water.
We turned off old route 66 and onto Main Street.
After two blocks or so we saw this...
...and this...
Then the tears came.
This has to be the saddest thing I have ever seen.
My little town in Pennsylvania had a F-1 tornado
that took out a few trees and a roof off a barn.
But this...this was so much worse.
It went on for six blocks.  This tornado destroyed 1/3 of the city of Joplin.
These images are stuck in my head.
I wish there was something  I could do.
There seemed to be plenty of food and water offered.
Many people lost loved ones.
Many people lost their home.
Every day is a gift from God.
Every thing I own is a gift from God.
I pray I never take it for granted.
I'm sure like many of us, these folks took their daily life
with things and people for granted.
But then the tornado happened.
Life, as they knew it, changed forever.
And like after 9/11, everyone came together and
thanked God (whom many really didn't know personally) their lives were spared.
But then they pick up the pieces and find their normal
and forget about God.
There isn't much I can do for the people in Joplin besides pray.  But there is something I can be doing here where I am now, and that's sharing God's love with others.  We are not promised tomorrow.  God can return at any moment.  You could die at any moment.  Do you know where you will spend eternity?

I do.  Because I have put my faith and trust in God and accepted His simple plan of salvation, I know that if I were to die today that I will spend eternity in Heaven.  If you're not sure, please read the verses on my side bar and email me.  I'd be more than happy to share with you how you can know for sure you are going to Heaven.  God made it simple.  He is good like that!

No comments: