Pages

Friday, May 21, 2010

Washington, DC - Part 1

We decided to go away for our 11th anniversary. It was kind of last minute planning. We decided to go to Washington, DC, which is a place I've been wanting to go since I've seen Night in the Museum 2. I went there when I was younger, but I don't remember much. We went to the Smithsonian's Air and Space Museum first. My husband is hoping to get his pilot's license, and he's very much into astronomy.
Fun fact.


Then we parked close to the Washington Monument and walked around. DC is such a fun city, it makes me proud of our American heritage.


The Reflecting Pool was empty. Not sure why. I was a bit disappointed.
One of my favorite presidents.
I remember memorizing this for school.
We also saw the Vietnam Veterans Memorial Wall. Then drove over to Arlington National Cemetery. I've always wanted to see the Changing of the Guard.
What an honor to see the Changing of the Guards. Did you know that the tomb has been guarded continuously 24 hours a day, 7 days a week since July 2, 1937? For more info on the Tomb of the Unknowns click here. I also found out that many countries have their own "Tomb of the Unknown Soldier".
Another fun fact, the soldier walks 21 steps in one direction with his gun opposite the tomb, turns faces the tomb for 21 seconds moves the gun to the other soldier and repeats. They replace the mat 2x a year (before Memorial Day and Veteran's Day).
The Pentagon
The view from Robert E. Lee's tomb.
You can see the Lincoln Memorial, Washington Monument, and the Capital.


We went to see the "Eternal Flame" at JFK's burial site, but as I was walking up to it a guard told us the cemetary was closed and I couldn't get a picture. So I snapped this before I walked away. You can see the flame in the middle of the picture.
After we left Washington, DC we decided to go to Williamsburg, VA. Keep scrolling to read about that trip.

1 comment:

Rob said...

DC is so awesome. We live about an hr away in MD and were at the kite festival about a month back. We went to Arlington also. DC is a great city. Glad to see you and your husband had a great time.