Pages

Sunday, January 17, 2010

Making the Climb by John C. Bowling

Patrick and I have recently decided that on our first furlough home we are going to try to make a trip to Africa and climb Mt. Kilimanjaro. I started looking through Amazon and came across this book. It is written by John C. Bowling who is the president of Olivet Nazarene University. He chose to climb this mountain having never done anything like this before. That was the main reason I bought his book.

I love that he kept a journal on his trip and added it to the book. He gives a very detailed account of his mountain climbing experience. And if nothing else, it makes me want to do it even more.

Although we wouldn't agree doctrinally in a lot of areas, there was a good bit of Scripture in the book and comparisons of mountain climbing and our spiritual walk with God. He memorized many passages from the Psalms for the climb.

It was relief to see that he made it to the top and back having no previous experience. It gives me confidence that I can do it too. Whether or not you're planning to climb Mount Kilimanjaro in your lifetime I would recommend the book. I am not a fan of fiction, I prefer real life...it's more fun. If you would rather not purchase it, see if your local library has a copy.

No comments: