Pages

Wednesday, August 12, 2009

He Is Altogether Lovely

You don't often hear too many messages out of Song of Solomon. I have heard a few, and they are all from the same preacher - Dr. William Jeffcoat. He is at my dad's church this week for revival and he's been preaching out of Song of Solomon. I thought I'd share some of my notes from Sunday evening's message.

~When the world sees that we truly do love Him, maybe they will say like the women said of Solomon, "that we may seek Him with thee" (6:1).

~Instead of talking about the valley you're in, talk about the Lily of the Valley (2:1).

~Solomon's bride is called the Shulamite woman. Shulamite may refer to her home country although there is no other mention of Shulam in the Bible or other sources. This name may be a term of endearment given by Solomon. Shulamite means peace, which is what Solomon's name means. As women don't we take the man's name when we marry?!

The Lord really worked in my heart through this message, and I'm looking forward to the rest of the week. I think sometimes it's easy to get into a rut. Everything can easily become mundane, but a gentle reminder of Who we serve, and how He is altogether lovely, just puts a fire inside me, and I wanted to share a little bit of that with you!

The kid's were sick this weekend, and I realized how I often take their health for granted! It's so hard having a little one who is sick and he can't tell you what's wrong. I was so relieved when they started feeling better on Sunday, but realized how overwhelmed I had allowed myself to become. I was becoming impatient and easily frustrated. God gave me these children, and I'm here to love them, nurture them, care for them, and, yes, even serve them.

Last night Cody would not go to sleep. I decided to just let him cry it out a little bit, although I knew he just wanted to be held. After he a few minutes, I heard the sound that no mother likes to hear, the gagging sound right before throwing up. I ran into his room, took him out of his bed, and just watched him throw up all over the floor. What did I do? I sat there and cried, it was my fault, he had cried so hard, he threw up. I was tired and frustrated and all my little man wanted was his mommy to hold him...lesson learned. I know that letting him have his way can spoil him, but he wasn't feeling well, and it wouldn't have hurt me to just hold him for a bit.

So, no real reason to this post. I just wanted to share what God has been teaching me. My husband and kid's are most important. Not the deals at CVS, or the blogs I have to read, or even facebook! I'm hoping to spend the rest of the week (and much longer than that), hugging on my kid's and getting ready for school. I'll post some school stuff when I get it together.

"He is altogether lovely." (5:16)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great thoughts Jen ~ thanks for sharing them. ~~Chrissy~~